top of page

The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant student visa category that allows foreign nationals to pursue academic studies in the United States at accredited educational institutions. Here is an overview of the F-1 visa category:

  • Eligibility: To be eligible for an F-1 visa, you must meet the following criteria: a. You must be enrolled or accepted for a full-time academic program at a U.S. educational institution approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). b. You must have sufficient funds to cover your tuition, living expenses, and other associated costs during your stay in the United States. c. You must have a residence abroad that you have no intention of abandoning.

  • SEVIS: The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is an online system that tracks and monitors F-1 students. Your U.S. educational institution will issue a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, which you will need to present when applying for an F-1 visa.

  • Visa Application Process: The F-1 visa application process typically involves the following steps: a. Apply to and receive acceptance from a SEVP-certified U.S. educational institution. b. Pay the SEVIS fee. c. Complete Form DS-160, the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. d. Pay the visa application fee. e. Schedule and attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country. f. Provide supporting documentation, including your Form I-20, financial records, proof of ties to your home country, and any other relevant documents.

  • Duration of Stay: As an F-1 student, you are generally authorized to stay in the United States for the duration of your academic program, as indicated on your Form I-20. You may be eligible for additional periods of stay if you pursue further education or engage in authorized practical training.

  • Employment Opportunities: F-1 students may have limited opportunities for employment. On-campus employment is generally allowed, and in some cases, off-campus employment may be authorized under certain circumstances, such as Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT). There are specific regulations and restrictions on employment, and it is important to consult with your designated school official (DSO) or international student advisor for guidance.

  • Dependents: Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may accompany you to the United States under the F-2 visa category. F-2 dependents are not allowed to work but are generally allowed to study in the United States.

It is essential to maintain compliance with the regulations and requirements of the F-1 visa category throughout your studies. Your designated school official (DSO) or international student advisor can provide guidance on maintaining your status, applying for extensions, and understanding the rules and benefits associated with the F-1 visa.

Immigrant Law- F1 Visa

  • I'm a product detail. I'm a great place to add more information about your product such as sizing, material, care and cleaning instructions. This is also a great space to write what makes this product special and how your customers can benefit from this item.
bottom of page